Zucchini is a great source of Lutein/Zeaxanthin which are antioxidants that protect the eyes from UV and oxidative damage. Tomato is a wonderful source of Vitamin A, which is important for light processing in the eye. The recipe for today has both and is an overall very healthy treat! This one I got from Betty Washburn on allrecipes.com.
Grilled Greek-Style Zucchini
- 4 small zucchini, thinly sliced
- 1 medium tomato, seeded and chopped
- 1/4 cup pitted ripe olives, halved
- 2 tablespoons chopped green onion
- 4 teaspoons olive or canola oil
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- In a bowl, combine the zucchini, tomato, olives and onion. Combine oil, lemon juice, oregano, garlic salt and pepper; pour over vegetables and toss to coat. Place on a double thickness of heavy-duty foil (about 23 in. x 18 in.). Fold foil around vegetables and seal tightly. Grill, covered, over medium heat for 10-15 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.