I want to take this opportunity to thank Draisin Vision and their wonderful staff for all their support and encouragement during my recovery.

To make a long story short, I was in an automobile accident which involved a severe head injury requiring craniotomy. I also had a broken nose, orbits, left arm and lost my front teeth. Needless to say I was in ICU for approximately ten days in which I was not aware of my surroundings or family and friends. When I finally became aware, and the swelling finally went down in my eyes to where I could open them, I saw two of everything. People walked around with two heads, I saw two TV’s and two door knobs, the list goes on. I finally had enough sense to tell the doctor that I was seeing double. His comment was that it would go away as I healed. I was in ICU for another week or so and continued to have double vision. I had to keep one eye closed or covered in order not to see double. About 8 weeks after I went home, my double vision just went away. I said, “Thank God.” (Little did I know that it was because my brain learned to turn off my left eye.)

After approximately three or four months, I began to realize that I was having trouble concentrating and multi-tasking. I would always forget 1 or 2 steps in a procedure and find that I didn’t complete the job or left it undone. I am a nurse and I began to worry that I couldn’t return to work if I was unable to follow through on a task. I might accidentally kill someone. At home it wasn’t ever a life or death situation.

I was evaluated by Dr. Draisin and he felt that I qualified to participate in a Vision seminar in which I was the subject and they discussed my vision deficits and what was best for me.

At the same time, Dr. Draisin had set up his own plan of action for me and I started to participate in Vision Therapy at his office. At first I thought it was silly because I was there when there were a lot of little kids. I really didn’t think I needed it. Boy was I wrong! I kept complaining that my glasses were crooked on m y face but no one could gret them straight. Low and behold that was how I saw things. My eye wanted to drift up and out. I had very little depth perception. I found out I was still seeing double if my left eye was forced to stay on. Visual perception was difficult for me. I had crowding of letters and words. I was unable to use more than one system at a time. I couldn’t follow a beater and read letters or move at the same time. It took so much effort for me to keep my eyes on a target, everything else shut down.

After approximately 18 months of vision therapy (there were stretches of time that I was unable to come to therapy), I was surprised how much my field of vision had improved, my concentration, my ability to complete tasks. I even went back to work feeling comfortable for the first time since my accident.



Leave a Comment