Dr. Shealy was born and raised in a military family and spent most of his childhood growing up in different cities in Texas. He attended the College of Charleston and completed a Bachelor of Science in Biology and graduated Cum Laude. While in college, Dr. Shealy began his optometric career as a technician at the Draisin Vision Group. After college, he attended the University of Alabama at Birmingham School of Optometry where he was involved in several organizations and was the Dean’s student representative to the Academic Affairs committee.
At the UAB School of Optometry, Dr. Shealy was recognized with several awards. These include the College of Optometrists in Vision Development Award for Excellence in Vision Therapy, the Gas Permeable Lens Institute Award for Clinical Excellence in the Field of GP Contact Lenses, the School of Optometry Dean’s Award, the UAB Dean’s Award for Excellence, and the Beta Sigma Kappa Silver Star.
After completing optometry school, Dr. Shealy joined the United States Air Force where he served as a staff optometrist at MacDill AFB in Tampa, FL. While in the Air Force, Dr. Shealy was awarded with Distinguished Graduate at Commissioned Officer Training School, 6th Aerospace Medicine Squadron Company Grade Officer of the Year 2006, and Air Mobility Command Company Grade Optometrist of the Year 2006.
Dr. Shealy became a Fellow in the American Academy of Optometry in 2007. He is currently a member of the South Carolina Optometric Association, American Optometric Society, and American Academy of Optometry.
Dr. Shealy is married to Kelly and they have one child, Noah, who is two years old. When not working, he likes to spend time with his wife and son, read a good book, go for a run, and go to the beach. He is an avid sports fan and especially likes college basketball, tennis, and running. Dr. Shealy is excited to return to Charleston to be closer to family and friends.
College of Charleston: 2001, Degree: B.S.
University of Alabama at Birmingham School of Optometry: 2005, Degree: O.D.
United States Air Force: 2005-2008, Optometrist, MacDill AFB
- Annual Company Grade Optometrist, Air Mobility Command: 2006
- Company Grade Officer of the Year, 6 Aerospace Medicine Squadron: 2006
- Distinguished Graduate Commissioned Officer Training School: 2005
- Beta Sigma Kappa Silver Star Recipient: 2005
- University of Alabama at Birmingham Dean’s Award of Excellence: 2005
- University of Alabama at Birmingham School of Optometry Dean’s Award of Excellence: 2005
- College of Optometrists in Vision Development Award for Excellence in Vision Therapy: 2005
- Clinical Excellence in the Field of GP Contact Lenses: 2005
- Fellow, American Academy of Optometry
- Adjunct professor for Nova Southeastern University, College of Optometry
- Adjunct professor for the Southern College of Optometry
- Coastal Carolina Optometric Society
- South Carolina Optometric Association
- American Optometric Association
- American Academy of Optometry